Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Redefining the Digital Divide


It has been said that the biggest obstacle to online learning is unequal access to the internet, but is that really true?  The text, Learning in Adulthood, points out that high-income families are more likely to have high speed internet access than low income families. However, according to FCC 2012 statistics, 94% of Americans now have access to broadband internet (Christian Science Monitor, 2012). While it is true that this leaves 19 million people, mostly in tribal regions, without access to online learning, the implication is that these resources are readily available to nearly all of the audience served by our community colleges.  So what is the problem?  Why do we still concern ourselves with “the digital divide?” 

Perhaps we need to consider redefining the digital divide. The assumption has been that income is the primary determinant of access to internet.  I would like to suggest that neither income nor access is the primary contributing factor.  Free internet is available in nearly every library, coffee shop, and even McDonald’s.  Something else is standing in the way.  As a community college instructor who works primarily with dislocated workers, I believe the biggest barrier is an insufficient knowledge of how to use internet technology to better position oneself in the workplace. The divide is no longer between the “haves” and the “have-nots.”  The lines are much more difficult to define.  Sometimes age is a factor, and sometimes culture is a factor, including previous job experience.  Regardless of the cause, inexperience with technology is the great leveler.  I have worked with people from all walks of life. Some are high school drop-outs.  Some are recently laid off managers. But they all lack the ability to harness the internet for their own benefit.  And sometimes, these same individuals do not want to ask for help.

So what can we do to solve this dilemma?  How do we reach a widely diverse population to solve a common problem?  Does the answer lie in formal, non-formal or informal education methods? How do we answer the question of “access” now?   



4 comments:

  1. I think you have made an excellent point regarding the "digital divide". I also do not think that using lack of finances or access to the internet is a valid excuse or reason for the this problem. Perhaps providing laptops to every household and eliminating dial up and only providing Hi speed broadband at an affordable price would help if that were the real problem. I don't believe it is.

    I can relate to your theory because I have been there. I am there now.

    I have always thought of myself as computer literate, but when it came to do online work or truly making the most of the vastness of the internet and it's resources, I was as a loss. I could look for jobs, post on blogs and of course, manage a Facebook account. However, there was so much I didn't know. I thought I had a handle on the whole social networking deal, but when I would look at my son's site, I knew I didn't have a clue. His smart phone was smarter with tons of apps and he could upload music and videos onto Facebook with ease, while I had to get someone to walk me through each step. I felt old. And I think that's more to the point.

    There is, I believe, more of a generational divide rather than a digital divide. My son and daughter grew up with MySpace, CD's and mp3s. I was so behind the technology eight ball it was embarrassing. I'm a school teacher. I'm supposed to know this stuff, right? But, ask either one of them about eight tracks, 33s or even 45s and they are clueless. My son thought vinyl was something only floors were made of. Finally, something I knew about "technology" that he didn't.

    However, I truly believe there is something to the age difference and the velocity of changing technology. It seems to literally double almost on a daily basis. Just when I thought I had master my Droid, there was the Droid Razor, full of new features and apps.

    Let's face it - we're all non-traditional students and in some way, Community College was made for us. I wouldn't know what I do about computers if it had not been for Gaston College. And I can definitely relate to being afraid to ask for help, especially when it comes to online assignments. We grew up in a time where we were self aware and if we weren't, we could figure it out. I still don't like asking my son for help with my phone.

    You asked what could be done to solve this problem of "access now"? I believe for older learners like myself and people with different cultural backgrounds, the answer might be less formal education methods. I remember I had just gotten the MLA format down when suddenly, there was APA. I had to start from scratch, as did millions of others.

    To wrap up, possibly creating an environment that is not so formal and one that lets people learn at there own pace, in a gender and age friendly environment and intimate, professional relationships with the "professor" might be the answer. I believe I just described a community college, or at least how it's supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you both, but I'm not sure I am ready to downgrade the role access plays in all of this. While it is true that there are abundant public spaces that allow for access, I'm not sure that Starbucks, or a public computer lab always provide the most conducive or convenient learning environments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Harry is right. Access is a huge part of the puzzle, and without regular and consistent access, students can't practice as much as they need to in order to develop their skills at a pace that is conducive to higher learning. Sherrie hit the nail on the head when she commented that it isn't just internet access, but something else, that stands in the way of student learning. I just think those something elses, the age factor and the economic factors, etc. are all just parts of the whole, and with regular access to internet and other technology services, we will eventually take those elements out of the student technology success equation. (Side note: these factors will always be involved in student success, I think, but in terms of technology and the "digital divide," I believe we can eliminate them...or at the very least minimize them...when we talk about technology barriers to success.)

    My question to the Community Colleges is this: why don't we REQUIRE students to have regular and consistent access to technology (computers and internet, specifically)? Part of the intake form I complete with new students is to find out whether they own a computer or have internet services at their homes. The ones who say no to both questions are guaranteed to struggle in school, especially those who don't have a laptop or other portable computer device. We require them to purchase text books, why not computers? I would think it would be difficult to regulate whether students subscribed to internet access at home, but at least with a personal computer, they can practice using technology every day, and in any situation.

    The digital divide will never narrow unless students learn HOW technology can help them, and WHY it is important. Think about when you got your first smart phone. Within the first week, you probably wondered how you ever functioned without one before. And by now I'm sure you feel lost if your phone isn't in your hand or pocket at all times. Students need that same constant exposure to technology and its value in order to close the gap between technology in the classroom and at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheri,
    I had some preconceived notions before I watched your You-tube video on the subject. You raised some valid points which you have based your opinion. I do agree that the availability is definitely wide spread however; I think it’s far greater than that. As you pointed it’s the technology that’s the leveler. I am a searcher this week, but just couldn’t help putting my opinion out there too.

    The divide is vast with some students and not others. Why is it that some seek and do get gainful employment and others do not? Most students have better smart phones than we have. A smart phone cannot properly prepare them with the skills needed to gain employment. It’s technology driven with the advent of the online job application. Even large “Big Box” stores ie: Target, WalMart, have gone to the online application.

    Firstly students of any age are ill- equipped with the proper skills to succeed. You can’t get a job, if you can’t get an interview. If you can’t fill out a proper online application, then you can get to the next step. Which is the phone interview, thus to the next round, the face to face invitation to interview. Human Resource departments use the online app to weed out the week-links that are technology deficient. If the

    As Community College instructors, it’s our job to incorporate these skills into our curriculum. With embedded online tests, projects, and submission of homework and projects. So I do agree that technology challenged students, of any age, are at a disadvantage. The following links support the value of properly technology based student.

    http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/2012/07/11/the-9-best-tips-for-submitting-an-online-job-application

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2012/01/24/how-to-make-them-respond-when-you-apply-for-a-job-online/
    Tim, you have raised some excellent points with your reflection on the subject, as well.

    ReplyDelete