Transformational learning changes or modifies an individual’s embedded perspectives, assumptions and prejudices. Individuals traverse a process of experience,
inner reflection and questioning of ideals and positive development throughout
the learning process.
Merriam, Caffarella, & Baumgartner ( 2006) provide an
example of transformational learning involving a professional lawyer with
material ambitions. This lawyer is diagnosed with cancer. After the diagnoses,
i.e. the experience, she discusses her situation with her family and deeply
considers her needs of material versus relationships, i.e. critical reflection.
She ultimately reforms her priorities and experiences inner change in her
desires, i.e. development.
She has become transformed as an individual. This change is
not a surface change but a sea change in her thoughts, priorities and actions.
Before this learning experience, her major driving force was material gain and
superficial relationships.
A strong emotional experience instigates the learning
process. In this case, an individual does not seek change or learning. It is
imposed on her by circumstances. It is
the process through which the individual travels which initiates and solidifies
these changes.
Does this hold true for other individuals? Of course not;
everyone is different.
Other individuals may take the news about cancer and break
down and give up. This is a professional and assumed successful lawyer; she is
used to fighting for what she wants.
Would this example hold true for all professional lawyers? I
believe there would be those who would decide to get all they can out of life
while they can. Others may focus on gaining as much wealth as possible and
passing it down to other generations.
My point is – and this criticism appeared in or text – that
the theories on transformational learning focus on specific individual contexts.
The theories are based on critical analysis and do not take into account such events
as emotional enlightenment.
I understand transformational learning as a concept and
appreciate its power. There are criticisms which give me pause. The outcome of
transformational learning produces a change in "what" we know and not how "much" we know.
This is a very reasonable statement and has teeth. However, the surrounding
factors which determine or lead specifically to this are more varied than
addressed by Transformational Learning.
James, I really like reading your blogs. You, my friend, are a writer. I enjoyed this blog in particular because it gave me the inspiration for my post. First of all, you gave a great definition of Transformational Learning. I'm not sure I truly understood it until I read your post. Looking forward to next week and getting to know you better. Great post.
ReplyDelete