Monday, April 8, 2013

A few thoughts on Learning Theories and Actualization



I actually feel that there is no such thing as achieving true complete self actualization because man is flawed and has been since the beginning when Adam ate the forbidden fruit.  I think it's a wonderful thought and many of us will get very close, but perfection is ultimately impossible since we all will always have needs, even to the point of our death.  

People screw up (some more than others) and there has been only one perfect being that I know of.  No, I won't make this a religious debate, but I do see how a religious person could have trouble with all five theories.  However, I believe we all work toward that end in trying to achieve our life goals and be all that we can be as people and citizens.

 I agree with James that we must be bold in our goal of bringing out the inner student and their talents and that roads have been forged in that end.  But I don't believe we will ever get to the end of that road as teachers, at least not in our lifetime.  There are too many students falling through the cracks and too many teachers that are teachers by title only.  Conditioning students to learn is one thing, getting them to end of their journey is quite another.  It literally takes a village and I know I sound skeptical, but I don't believe there are enough villagers to get it done.

 I think cognitive learning theory is one theory that makes the most sense to me.  I see it played out in people’s and even my own life every day, most frequently, through modeling.  People learn what they see and usually do what they learn.  I have often been a bad role model for my own kids when I would lose my temper or throw something out the window.  I never wear my seat belt, so as a consequence, my kids have to be told to put theirs on.  This behavioral learning starts from birth when we’re teaching our babies to say “da da” or “ma ma” and continues on through life.  

I think self-actualization is an individual process and how we are motivated affects how we achieve actualization.  If we’re motivated by pain or our situation in a negative way, we can actually be more successful in achieving our goals.  For instance, someone from the Bronx might achieve more in their lives than someone from a small town simply because they are so motivated to achieve a better life and change their history.  I also think that contentment, while being a worthwhile goal, could also be a stumbling block for improvement and further learning and growth because it can turn into complacency.   

No comments:

Post a Comment