I want to focus on Piaget’s Cognitive Development theory on
this blog entry. You’ll know why in
about 900 words from now.
When I was watching the videos and reading chapter 13, it
brought back many memories for me. I’m
49 and have been doing this college thang since I was 26 years old. Now much of
that involved taking part-time classes while I worked full-time, but it
literally seems like I’ve been attending college for most of my adult life with
just a few breaks in between.
First, there was Gaston
College which took me 3 ½
years instead of just two to get my AA since most of it was done
part-time. When I finally received my AA
in 1993, I enrolled in the Gardner Webb University Goal program and it only
took 4 years to complete that degree because I was working full-time.
I finally graduated
with my Bachelor’s of Science in Business Management in 1997 and thought I was
done. Wrong! I decided to become a teacher, so I taught at
a private Christian Academy for two years, teaching everything from high school
science to high school math to high school history – none of which I had any
business teaching with confidence and certainty, but it was OK. It was a private school. All you had to do was have a 4 year degree (
it could have been in Library Science), follow the script in the book and you were
fine. Actually, the books were really
quite amazing. The only problem was that
teaching at that private school wasn’t
fulfilling my calling as a music teacher.
I had been a music person since I was 5 years old and all I ever
wanted to do was teach music. So why did
I get that darn BS degree in Business? I
told myself it couldn’t hurt if I ever got signed to a record deal because you’ve
got to have business knowledge if you’re going to keep your money, right? Of course, the real reason was I was scared
of the music degree. Playing music by
ear and being able to read music was one thing, but taking college music theory
and history and learning how to transpose chords and stuff scared the hell out
of me. Plus, it required….you guessed
it, more college. Still, I wasn’t happy
and I wanted to teach music, so something had to give.
So, I went back to teaching privately, but this time I was teaching music, so it was OK. I taught privately for five years and even ran my own music academy in there somewhere, taking a college course from time to time during that period.
So, I went back to teaching privately, but this time I was teaching music, so it was OK. I taught privately for five years and even ran my own music academy in there somewhere, taking a college course from time to time during that period.
One day, I received a phone call and the next day I was
interviewed for an honest to God music job at an honest to God public school
which meant lots more money and finally, happiness. But I had to go back to college and do
lateral entry work to get the job. So I
enrolled at UNCC in 1999 as a music major and as bad luck would have it, I was
an awesome music teacher but couldn’t complete the lateral entry requirements
my third year of teaching. I still
needed 2 music history’s and 3 music theory classes and they were not offered
online or at night at UNCC. Actually, I
had never heard of an online course before.
However, the rules state that if you can’t complete the work in three
years (which I never understood, because it takes 4 years to get a degree even
if you’re a full-time student), you’re out.
Eventually of course, I was able to get my license as a music
teacher when just three years later I was called out of the blue to teach
at West Lincoln High School
in 2007. I would have to enter the
lateral entry program again (Really???), but not to worry…I had 3 whole years
to complete the program.
So off to Winthrop
I went and this time, mainly because I had one heck of a department head
helping me, I finished my courses and took the praxis and was done with school
forever. (Yeah, right.)
I was finally a real
teacher with a real license and that was all I had ever wanted anyway. I thought I was truly done with college. I know I was truly tired.
Then, out of nowhere, that job was suddenly gone and here I
am getting my masters degree at Lenoir Rhyne, just 23 years after I had
started my college journey. I think this
time it will only take 2, maybe 3 years at the most to get it done, and then, I’ll really be done….maybe.
So what does this visit down memory lane have to do with Piaget’s
Theory of Cognitive Development? You
see, every time I would start a program, I would eventually have to study this
theory in a Psychology course or while taking a required Sociology class. This is the sixth time I have studied this
theory! I should be a genius at it by
now. I definitely know that it is a
solid theory and he was dead on with the stages of development.
But in some ways, I’m still at stage one – Object Permanence, the permanence being college and always thinking that it’s gone only to find that it’s still
there – it’s always been there. And in
some ways, it may always be there for me.
I’m the lifelong learner that we’ve talked and studied about so much in
this course. I’m proof that if you want
something bad enough, you have to realize it’s still there, even if you think
it’s not. And it made me wonder how many
college students will be or are just
like me? Attending college, learning,
growing only to start over again when you think what you thought you wanted had
disappeared, but in actuality, it was still right there.
I know I went way over 300 words with this one, but 300
wouldn’t have done it, it just seemed like it would.
Tim, Now I know why you went in to the ministry, your passion, your gift of language. It takes true feelings to write with the passion like you just have.
ReplyDeleteI due totally agree with your opinion of being in stage one, Object Permanence. I feel like you, a professional student. Learning as stated in this chapter is on going. Like you I am a life long learner, albeit an adult learner now.
All of our fellow class mates have a myriad of reasons for why we are in this cohort, CCA at LR. We desire to better our careers, but most importantly, for the love of the student. I came upon this video that pretty well explains how I feel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Y8BFy5Vrw