First, let me say that I am a “searcher” this week, and I
realize my post should be added as a “comment” to another post, but because of
the difficulty in sharing video in a comment, I have posted this as a “new post,” but it is
actually a comment. That being said, read on . . .
I have often joked, saying that I think of my mind as the
tube from the middle of the roll of paper towels running through my head from
one ear to the other. My tube is completely filled, so every time I put one
more thing in, something MUST pop out from the other side! I use this as an
excuse for being forgetful. I have even explained that after the age of 40, my
paper towel tube was replaced by a toilet paper tube, so now I can only
remember about half of what I used to remember!
But is this just a joke? It is possible that in some cases,
absent-mindedness is a naturally occurring phenomenon of working memory. Before
you finish reading this blog, watch this video.
But seriously, when do we know when our forgetfulness or
absent-mindedness is just a natural event or when something more serious is
going on? The National Institute on Aging, a division of the National Institute
of Health, has a wealth of information to guide us. One page in particular, (link is provided below), details some of the things that can contribute to
forgetfulness. One of those is depression, especially depression triggered by a
life-altering event such as the death of a loved one or spouse. There are many
others, but this stood out to me because my Mother began presenting symptoms of
disorganization, forgetting important events, repeating herself, and so forth,
after the death of my Father. Of course, it has now progressed into Lewy Body
Dementia, but early on, it was difficult to tell the difference between what
was a normal reaction to grief and what was simply not normal. I live with
regret for the times I became angry with her, assuming what was happening was
controllable. I encourage everyone to visit this page, and if any of you
suspect you or someone you love needs help, GET IT! Mom’s symptoms have
responded very well to medical treatment and behavioral modifications, and I
wish I hadn’t waited so long to ask for help!
Great video Sherie, It's like the "Can't see the forest for the trees" analogy.
ReplyDelete