Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Learning is a Garden



Rah rah, ah ah ah ah, Roma roma ma, Ga ga, ooh la la, . . . . My head is spinning! Well, I may never think of Lady Gaga the same, but I certainly enjoyed the creative learning video on cognitive learning! 

After viewing all the videos in this week’s lesson and reviewing the materials in Chapter 11, I feel more confused than ever about how we learn. Or wait, maybe I am actually less confused, but just have a LOT of information to process! We examined five orientations to learning, including behaviorism, cognitivism, humanism, social cognitive learning theory, and constructivism. There are elements of each that I can embrace, and some I can’t! How do you choose just one? Maybe you don’t have to! No two flowers are exactly alike, no two people are exactly alike, and my opinion is that no two people learn in exactly the same way. Maybe it is a lot like a garden. There are different soils, varying climates, and bazillion different variations of plant types, each with its own beauty and its own needs. All need sunlight, water, and rich soil, but which type of fertilizer will make each grow? Let’s examine some of the theories.


The behaviorist orientation focuses on external stimuli in the environment. Imitation and repetition of behavior is the key to this learning theory. While I do agree that children learn by imitation and that practice makes perfect, this theory seems a little too robotic for my liking . . . a bit too much like Pavlov’s dogs. Yes, association can produce a learned response, but people are much more than that. So I believe this theory has its place, especially in early childhood, and perhaps it explains the culture of poverty and the vicious cycle that can be difficult to get out of. Maybe the social cognitive learning theory is linked to the behaviorist orientation in that it focuses on the social setting in which learning occurs. It poses that people learn from observing others. The social situation and/or environment in which one grows up will certainly influence behavior, and behavior that is repeated, will result in learning. But in adult education, I believe more is needed for true learning to take place. Otherwise, how would anyone ever rise above difficult circumstances, such as Martin Luther King, Oprah Winfrey, Jim Carrey, or David Murdock? In addition, the constructivist approach to learning overlaps the behavioral and social cognitive approaches. It poses that learners construct their own knowledge from their experiences. Yes, I agree that experience is the best teacher, but I don’t necessarily need to experience everything to learn about it. So again, more please!

Cognitive learning explains much about human behavior. If one’s basic human needs are unmet, it is more difficult for learning to take place. The body is focused on meeting its own needs instead. Cognitive learning encompasses how physiology and the brain work. I am giving a bit of a teaser for Chapter 15 (which is mine to present), but the study of the brain supports this information processing learning theory. Memory is closely linked to learning and prior knowledge can affect how we perceive and process new information. Personally, I am a pro-cognitive psychology nut! I believe what we choose to think about and how we choose to focus our thoughts (either negatively or positively) has a major influence on our overall well-being, so it makes a lot of sense to me that it would have a major influence on how we learn as well. And if the brain is not processing information appropriately, it explains why learning is NOT taking place. This is very useful for persons with certain disabilities and/or mental and emotional issues. It also further supports McClusky’s theory of load versus power. If one is under tremendous pressure or depression, learning is going to be clouded. But again, for the mainstream adult learner, I still believe there is more.

This brings me to the humanist approach to learning. This approach encompasses both thinking and feeling (cognitive and affective) aspects of learning. Humanists do not believe that behavior is predetermined by society, by the environment, or even by one’s subconscious. Instead, humanist learning theory poses that human beings can control their own destiny, that people are inherently good, are free to act, and will strive for better world. Learning involves more than just cognitive processes and measurable behavior. It is based on motivation to learn and involves responsibility and choice. It is more about self-directed learning and active learning, which focuses the responsibility of learning on the learner. The student is more engaged in the learning process when he or she understands the purpose and meaning for learning and where it “fits” in the scope of life. The humanist approach to learning is, by far, my top choice, but I must always bear in mind how the other theories overlap, interweave, and maybe even replace this as the best option for a student. Again, no two learners are alike, and learning is as individual as are the individuals who learn. Thank goodness, we are not cookie cutter images of one another. Variety is truly is the spice of life and the beauty of the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment