Chapter 14 poses an interesting question in asking whether adults lose
intellectual ability as they age. I enjoyed reviewing Gardner's
Multiple Intelligence Theory because it recognizes that there are
multiple measures of intelligence. On campus at Mitchell, we've really
embraced the concept of incorporating contextual learning opportunities
into all of our classrooms. I really like the idea of finding ways to
tap into the strengths that each student has to enhance the learning
environment that we provide. At the community college level, we seek to
embrace the unique skill sets that all of our students bring to the
classroom. Using the MI theory allows us to value the less traditional
measures of intelligence. I think it also provides more understanding
of how life experiences improve our overall intelligence.
Gardner's MI Theory
I agree with Harry’s comments regarding multiple measures of intelligence. In fact, the NC Community College System is looking at just that with the new Multiple Measures Placement policy that would establish a hierarchy of measures that colleges will use to determine students’ readiness for college-level courses. Students will have the option of using a qualifying high school GPA or an ACT/SAT score to secure placement into college-level math and English. If the student does not have a qualifying score, they will be directed to take the college placement assessment, Accuplacer or perhaps another assessment tool used at the community college level. The student will then be placed into the appropriate level course based upon the assessment results.
ReplyDeleteThis would have been a great option for me in high school as I had a good GPA, but did frightfully on standardized tests. So, needless to say, I’m a fan of the new Multiple Measures Placement policy and hope it will allow us as college administrators to better guide our students.
Here’s a link to an interesting document about Multiple Measures that I found on the system office website: https://www.nccommunitycolleges.edu/state_board/SBCC%20Agendas%20&%20Attachments/2013/FEB%202013/PROG%204%20REV.pdf